Celebrating SG50 at National Day Parade 2015
by Keefe Kayvan on Thursday 13 August 2015 at 7:30 pm
,


I was actually right on the Padang Grandstand soaking up all the SG50 goodness! Everything is still a little surreal. I haven't been to an NDP since I was ten and it wasn't even an official one, just the rehearsal. To be honest, NDP tickets are not cheap or easily accessible so it's a no brainer that I spent previous years hanging out with friends and family near the fireworks display to celebrate.

It had to be extra tough to get tickets to this year's NDP with all the SG50 hype and special displays but Dennis managed to! Thanks for asking me along. I'm so happy and grateful to have been able to experience my first legit NDP on our nation's golden jubilee!


Don't be fooled, the streets were so packed! I only decided to get my camera out after they ticketing counter. I cannot stand to see any more scratches on it!

The organisers certainly upped traffic control this year. There were many volunteers stationed around the city area to guide the masses accordingly and queues were much smoother than I anticipated.


Apparently there were multiple designs for the funpack so I tried to change mine for something more unique (like any other typical Singaporean would) but was obviously turned down. It was packed to the brim with nostalgic items like the capteh, Donkey card game, haw flakes and bangle candy. Oh, those good ole innocent carefree days…



I was searching through my funpack and there wasn't a Singapore flag! Seriously? I knew that I should have been more forceful in trying to change my funpack. Anyway, the blow-up balloon maraca became a really entertaining substitute and I shook it maniacally throughout the parade. Did I mention that light flickers from it when shaken?


We arrived pretty late compared to the other spectators (Kiasu much?) and had to settle for seats where the view of the field was a little obstructed. We had a very clear view of the Old Supreme Court Building though, which meant that we would be able to enjoy the mobile column to it's fullest, and we did!


It's so heartwarming to see everyone in the parade dressed to the occasion. There weren't any obligations! The cheers were constant and the mood did not dull for a moment. I could totally feel the national pride and excitement as the show began to start.

I didn't get why people were putting on the scarves. It was hot.


37 contingents were featured at the Parade and Ceremony this year. That's a lot. Is it weird that I somehow miss doing drills?









50 aircrafts were featured this year! What? Really? Wow. The aerial display was most certainly remarkable and I was left dazzled and amazed at the level of precision and finesse.

I initially planned to post live video updates on Snapchat but the mobile data connection was practically frozen! Too many people had similar ideas, uh?


We had a hard time enjoying the fireworks because the structure of the grandstand was in the way. Oh well, they were still a fantastic sight though. They were displayed pretty often, at the end of every segment, so I had my fill by the end of the parade.


I did snap a lot of photos during the mobile column but I won't be uploading them. Dennis was pretty much fanboying over the tanks and anti-aircraft weapons.







The dance performances were very captivating and it is evident that many hours of practice were invested. Everyone was on cue and sharp with their movements around the field. A tedious task considering the need for coordination between so many people!

I found myself enthusiastically singing along to the songs from yesteryears during the performances! I actually remembered them! Not to mention cheering at the top of my lungs for the amazing local performers who were giving us so much energy and spirit.

Our 1998 NDP song, "Home", still sticks to me the strongest. The level of passion the spectators exhibited when singing (and shouting) along to it was really beautiful.


I am so thankful to be a part of Singapore's 50th birthday and hopefully, her 100th! I'll bet that it'll be so much more spectacular with all the crazy technologies. (And a Singapore flag in my funpack, please!) On second thought, I'd probably be so lazy at 73 that I might actually allow myself to put a mock tattoo of the Singapore flag on my face instead. I can already imagine myself irritating the youngsters by taking my time climbing up the stairs to my NPD2065 seat.


0 comments